Thursday, February 8, 2007

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

Courntey, Karen, Lousie, Rebecca and I went to Shepherd's Bush stadium on Tuesday night to help cheer on the Socceroos against Denmark. Didn't help though, we lost 3-1. Frankly, we suck at soccer. But the atmosphere was well worth it, even if the game wasn't.

There were more Australians there than in Australia I reckon. I have never seen so many people wearing green and gold. Big surprise of the evening was when I was walking out of Starbucks and I heard "Oh my God, Alex?" and I turned around to see Anthony standing in the line. Anthony is a friend from home that I met through the St Ives High guys.

The night was fantatsic but it was very, very, very cold. The Aussie supporters took up more than 3/4 of the stadium and the poor Denmark supporters were all squished up to one end. We were sitting in the stand behind a huge steel poles. Every time the play came up towards our end our vision was blocked by the pole. Then the people around us would all yell out "Damn pole!" in unison. Made you laugh even though you couldn't see what was happening. My other favourite part of the game was when the referee disallowed 2 goals from Australia and the crowd all started yelling out "Bullshit" over and over again in unison. You've got to love Aussies when they think they are being hard done by, especially when we are all living away from home. It seems to magnify the injustice 150%. I am bit a worried about the guys sitting behind us though. They spent thirty minutes debating whether Princess Mary would be cheering for Australia or Denmark.

Karen and I were very spoilt. We got a lift home with Anthony and Matthew in Matthew's Volkswagon. Given that it was 0 degrees we were rapt!

No comments: