Monday, May 14, 2007

Parents and The Country Fair

I got up really early on Saturday morning to accompany Vic out to Heathrow to meet her parents who flew in from Brisbane. She was so excited and it made me realise how much I am looking forward to seeing my brother and his girlfriend when they come over in 2 weeks. As usual the Piccadilly line was "undergoing maintenance works" and we had to change and get a bus to get to the airport on the final part of the journey. Nothing is ever simple here. Vic was taking the mickey out of me for my New York video moment where I make a fake crown out of my fingers at Liberty Island. So, she decided to reenact the whole thing for me on the tube to keep us occupied at 6:30am.

After leaving the Sadleir family at Clapham Junction I went to Victoria to take back some library books. As I turned the corner near the church I heard some bells and accordion music. There, standing in the middle of the courtyard, were a bunch of men waving handkerchiefs and tapping sticks with the bells that were strapped to their ankles jingling away. Was a sight to be seen I tell you. After having a chat with one of the members of the red, white and blue team I found out that they were "Morris Dancing" which is an old, traditional English dance that dates back to the early 15th Century. The yellow and black team were from Westminster and had invited the red, white and blue team down to London (they were from some country area and I have no clue where it is) to put on a show for people. Was very spirit uplifting and put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

When I got home it was still only 12pm so Karen and I headed into Richmond to wander around the Richmond Fair. Ate fairy floss, had a lucky dip, bought some scarves to ward off nits at the white elephant stall, got tomato sauce on my nose from my sausage sandwich - all in all, a great way to spend a drizzly Saturday afternoon.

Am off this evening to try Salsa dancing. Shannon from my school has been trying to get me to go and try it for a few weeks now and so I thought I would give it a go. Wish me luck!


1 comment:

Voods said...

Hey ...

I somehow remember saying that this photo better not go on your blog, but here it is. Me holding cardboard on my head, gee thanks!

You crazy lady walking home from Shebu walky. Bet you slept all day.

Talk and see you soon.